George Brown quickly realised the need to establish an Institution for the Training of Pastor – Teachers if the Gospel was to be preached and understood in the village churches.
Land was acquired in Satupaitea and in March 1864, the Training Institute was opened with 16 students in residence. There were 11 houses and a classroom on the compound.
At the same time, it was reported that land had been bought at Lufilufi for the establishment of a Mission Station.
In the next few years Panapasa Ahogalu was the main teacher at the Institution where George Brown introduced subjects such as – Arithmetic, Catechism, Theology, Bible Study and Preaching.
In 1868, the Sixth District Meeting was held at Lufilufi where it was reported that Rev. Frank Firth had arranged for the land at Lufilufi to be cleared. Fourteen (14) houses and a weather-board school house were built. The Institute was then shifted to Piula, Lufilufi from its original location at Satupaitea.
With its beautiful setting, permanent fresh water in “Fatumea”, Piula Theological College (as it is known today) has trained generations of Pastors and Ministers for the work of the Church at home and abroad.
The Centenary of the College was celebrated in 1968 when the President of the Conference, Rev. Taeao Tauanuu opened the new Assembly Hall and students’ Wing.
The beautiful College Chapel and Class Rooms is a memorial to the work of Rev. E. G. Neil and the Samoan builders who carried out its creation between 1911 and 1921.
The College with all its facilities provides an ideal site for conferences, Youth Groups and meetings of the Society of Piula Old Boys.
R. W. Allardice
Methodism in Samoa – 1828-1984
Malifa – 1984